MissionTo enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens.
2013 Board Roster | Donor Privacy Police | 2011 Financials | 2011 Form 990 | 2010 Annual Report
Boys & Girls Clubs programs have taken members from the Clubhouse to the White House; from the games room to the corporate boardroom; from the high school orchestra to Carnegie Hall.
Boys & Girls Clubs of South Puget Sound is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization (tax ID number: 91-0759832)
Our organization has been built around a rich history that started on 25th and Yakima in 1940. The Tacoma Boys Club at 711 South 25th Street located on the site of Longfellow School, was dedicated on April 24, 1942. The $25,000 colonial structure was located in an area with a high rate of juvenile delinquency. It was founded by Judge Fred Remann to fulfill the social needs of boys 6-16 and provide them with proper guidance, while keeping them occupied and out of trouble. The Salvation Army owned the facility and provided the Club with a yearly budget. After some time there was a struggle that ensued when the Boys Club wanted to proceed with doing business on their own. Eventually they separated from Salvation Army.
The Clubs served many kids in the area and soon became very popular leading to the development of other new Clubs beginning with the South End in 1954. The Eastside Club soon followed beginning operations in the Hillsdale Community Center and the Northwest Club started as an athletic association that eventually evolved into a Club operating in a remodeled church at 30th and Cheyenne. A capital campaign was held in 1979 leading to the construction of the current Davies and Gonyea Branch opened in 1981, which was spearheaded by Doug Gonyea.
In 1965 recognizing the need to develop an association with all Clubs in Tacoma, Boys Clubs of Tacoma was formed. In 1982 the organization officially changed its name to Boys & Girls Clubs of Tacoma. During this time Boys Clubs of America changed its name to Boys & Girls Clubs of America and Boys & Girls Clubs of Tacoma began formally serving girls as members. The Clubs worked hard to develop training and facility improvements that would provide equal access and inclusion for girls.
Other communities saw the importance of the work being done in Tacoma. A group of business leaders, with strong support from the Lakewood Rotary Club, began raising funds in 1993 to establish a Club in Lakewood. In 1996 construction began on the branch facility adjacent to Lakeview Elementary School and a new Club was dedicated in 1997 as the Lakewood Branch. The organization became B
In 1999 the Board approved the $5.9 million Campaign for Kids designed to improve and enhance the existing Clubs along with providing dollars targeted at staff retention, worker benefits and training. In 2001 the Campaign for Kids $5.9 million goal was exceeded by nearly $1.3 million, reaching a total of $7.2 million.
Construction and renovation took place during the campaign and in 2001 the first BOTTLAB, (Building Opportunity Through Technology) opened at the East Side Branch. In 2002 and 2003 renovations to the East Side, D.A. Gonyea and Al Davies Clubs were completed, finishing the first phase of the growth and development plan. The new look to the facilities attracted more kids and got the board even more excited about the organizations future. As more and more communities witnessed the success of the organization and in response to many requests to move into unserved or underserved areas in 2002, the South Pierce County Branch was formed and began by operating Outreach Sites in Bethel and Franklin Pierce School Districts. In 2003 the Outreach program expanded to include three additional schools.
The Boys & Girls Clubs of West Sound was started in the Belfair area and was operating successfully when it joined our organization in 2003 becoming the North Mason Branch Teen Center. As part of the North Mason Branch two outreach sites also began operating in two elementary schools in Mason County.
As a part of the strategic plan the organization set its sites on reaching out to unserved or under served communities. This led to yet another name change better reflecting the current and future areas the organization planned on serving over the next ten years. In 2003 the organization became Boys & Girls Clubs of South Puget Sound.
History of Boys & Girls Clubs of America
The Boys and Girls Club Movement began in the United States during the Civil War. Its inception is traced to Hartford, Connecticut with the formation of the Dashaway Club to serve needy boys in the community. Boys & Girls Clubs of America had its beginnings in 1860 when several women, believing that boys who roamed the streets should have a positive alternative, organized the first Club. A cause was born. The idea spread to other areas of the country and more Clubs were formed. The first Club to use “Boys Club” in its official title was the Boys Club of New York in 1876. At this time, the Clubs served only boys.
In 1906, the existing 50 Clubs joined together to form a national organization known as the Boys Club of America. The Federated Boys Clubs in Boston was formed with 53 member organizations.
In 1956, Boys Clubs of America celebrated its 50th anniversary and President Eisenhower gave the national organization a Congressional Charter – a rare honor bestowed on only a few non-profit organizations in our country’s history.
In response to a growing need, the Boys Clubs began to also serve girls. In 1990, the national organization officially changed its name to Boys and Girls Clubs of America. Today there are over 4,000 Clubs in the United States serving over 4,000,000 members. There are similar organizations in Germany, Australia, Canada, and many other countries around the world.